Join the dream team!
Director EU Policy (full-time)
Global Privacy and Data Flows Fellow
Send us a
Director EU Policy
Allied for Startups is the voice of startups in politics and government. We represent over 46 European and global startup associations (BESCO, Startup Canada, Startup Malaysia), making their voice heard in international organisations and governments. We work to increase the impact of entrepreneurial voices on policy issues such as artificial intelligence, data & privacy, online platforms, digital health, blockchain, access to talent, funding, etc.
About the position
Allied for Startups is seeking a full-time Director of EU Policy to join our international and dynamic team in Brussels! This high-profile opportunity reports directly to the CEO and requires a thoughtful, articulate, energetic self-starter who will:
The candidate should meet the following requirements:
– Advance Allied for Startups’ activities in Europe and globally grow its presence as a credible and reliable body that represents startups and their interest in Brussels;
– Empower a tight-knit team of high achieving colleagues across policy, digital health and communications to achieve collective success;
– Contribute to developing and executing policy campaigns across a range of issues, including data & privacy, AI, platforms, ecosystems and economic impact;
– Engage with policymakers, key stakeholders, opinion and community leaders on all levels; – Lead targeted fundraising efforts through partnership building, events promotion and creative techniques to gain new sponsorships;
– Oversee coordination of all members of the Alliance, ensuring communication across the key group of countries within the EU,
– Represent Allied for Startups at global conferences and build connections for the association in member countries;
– Connect with global policy makers at the international level on behalf of startups and specifically the members of the alliance.
Desired Skills and Experience:
– 6-10 years experience, preferably in a European Institution, trade association or agency,
– Strong expertise on public policy and government affairs, ideally in the technology sector and of policy issues impacting startups and the startup ecosystem;
– Previous success in the government relations field in EU member state(s) or in Brussels;
– Successful track-record in fast-moving environments;
– Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills;
– Ability to integrate with an existing team while giving new impulses at the same time;
– Relationship builder;
– Experience and ambition to be a transformational leader and a role model;
– Strong writer with proven ability to communicate complex issues simply and clearly;
– On the record experience with press and comfortable communicating with members of the media on a regular basis
– Fundraising experience is a plus
– Fluency in spoken and written English; ability with French, German, and other languages is a plus;
– Able to think strategically, define resource needs, and implement tactically;
– Experienced public speaker,
– Proven track record of building alliances with like-minded trade groups or companies;
– Frequent travel within the European Union may be necessary
– The ability to work in Belgium.
Please send your application to the attention of Ms Melissa Blaustein. Please include a 1-page CV and 1-page motivation letter. Applications are welcomed on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
As a small team, we are unfortunately unable to answer everyone individually. If you haven’t heard back from us by the end of November please assume you have not been shortlisted for the position.
Global Privacy and Data
Allied for Startups is looking for a Global Privacy and Data Flows Fellow! We’re looking for a startupper: a self-starter, independent, motivated and tech-savvy individual. As our data flows fellow, your main tasks will be to build bridges between policy makers, startups, and industry, thereby setting the scene and building the backbone of impactful policy campaigns through research and writing, and building connections. Ideally, the candidate has first-hand experience in data and tech policy /or EU affairs, a curiosity for startups and innovation. We are looking for someone who is curious, has a positive and can-do attitude while demonstrating a sense of political acumen, humor, and team spirit!
Allied for Startups is the voice of startups in politics and government. We represent over 46 European and global startup associations (BESCO, Startup Canada, Startup Malaysia), making their voice heard in international organisations and governments. Our fields of work include digital policies and startup-relevant topics such as platform governance, data, artificial intelligence, and digital health.
About the position:
This is a new position and it consists of a 12-month Fellowship to research, publish and develop policy concepts around the increasing challenge for data-intensive startups to transfer and process data in a global and interconnected society. The role is designed to consider these issues from a startup perspective while establishing a broader dialogue with investors, academics, policymakers, and companies in various industries who have been dealing with the issue for longer and can lend their expertise to the startup ecosystem.
The ideal candidate should meet the following requirements:
– Be a self-starting data & policy enthusiast; an independent & creative thinker;
– Excellent language skills in English;
– Emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills are a must;
– Knowledge and understanding of the global policy landscape
– Demonstrates skills to lead organisational and administrative tasks;
– Hold a bachelors’ degree.
– Be eligible to work in the EU.
Main duties and responsibilities:
– Shape and execute a workstream on data flows related policies;
– Encourage open dialogue with policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
– Do research on policy issues and drive their uptake internally & externally;
– Contribute to further positioning and advocacy efforts;
– Build & maintain ties with stakeholders in the data policy space;
– Play a proactive role in everyday operations.
– Be part of a unique, dynamic and flexible team organisation;
– The opportunity to build knowledge and a network in data startup and policy;
– Exposure to a vibrant startup and innovation scene and policy makers;
– Influencing and shaping the public debate around cutting edge technologies;
– Opportunity to put your creativity to the test implementing own ideas;
– A competitive remuneration package under a Convention d’immersion professionnelle;
Please send us a 1- page CV, (europass format will not be accepted) and a 1-page motivation letter that answers the following questions: Why is this position relevant in the current policy environment and how would you do in the role?
Please send your application to Ines Moreno email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. As a small team we are unfortunately unable to answer all applications, if you haven’t heard from us after 1 month of submitting your application you may assume that unfortunately your application was not selected.